Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Beginnings and Ends

“Burdened Agency: Christian Theology and End-of-Life Ethics”

Travis Pickell



I love this time of year of new beginnings of learning!.  The recent reminder was the Facebook Post (Click to watch) of the oath of the Medical and Dental School Classes of 2030.  It contains sacred words of “calling” and “healing” found in the best traditions of these professions.


At the same time as the Facebook Post, I was reading the book Burdened Agency: Christian Theology and End-of-Life Ethics describing the challenges that will be faced by these beginning medical and dental students.  One wonderful revelation in the book were efforts at Loyola University to engage medical students in addressing these critical issues of care.


I was reminded of the work at Duke University Medical School and the challenges of creating the curricular space for this education.  Even now, it is difficult to see how the agency of these beginning students will be implemented in our technological cultures.  Maybe the best answers are found in the ancient prophets!

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord,

 “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)


Thanks for all the Beginning Healing Agents,


Marvin



References


Pickell, T. (2024). Burdened Agency: Christian Theology and End-of-Life Ethics.


Harvard Medical and Dental School entering Classes of 2030 - Oath (August 24, 2026)

https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=harvard%20medical%20school%20oath


Wasson, K., Bading, E., Hardt, J., Hatchett, L., Kuczewski, M. G., McCarthy, M., Michelfelder, A., & Parsi, K. (2015). Physician, know thyself: The role of reflection in bioethics and professionalism education. Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics, 5(1), 77–86. doi.org

See: https://www.luc.edu/stritch/bioethics/medicaleducation/physiciansvocationprogram/


Hage, M. L. (2015). Healing Missions.

https://healingagents.blogspot.com/2015/05/healing-missions.html



Hage, M. L. (2016). A Healing Curriculum.

http://healingagents.blogspot.com/2016/05/a-healing-curriculum.html



No comments:

Post a Comment